Monday, September 10, 2007

What color are your Socks?

Septermber 9, 2007
I woke up at 5:30 today and started my journey back to Athens. It happened to be Sunday so no commercial stores were open, but the streets were packed with people attending the weekly flee market. In my opinion, it was all junk, but it was cool to be a part of the Athenian culture. After walking around quite a bit with my suit case I made my way over to the Jewelry shop from before and I spent the day sitting and talking in Antonis’s shop. It reminded me of being in my Father’s tool store in Arizona because when a group of customers would come in, I would be the quiet observer – keeping an eye on people’s wandering hands. I got to meet all of the shop employees and in the evening sat outside the store at a restaurant eating small fried fishes and big fresh salads. I was personally driven to the airport to catch my 2:20am flight to Israel and it was a good experience to see Greece from a car – on the freeway, it actually looks just like America. I hopped on the plane and arrived in Israel at 4:20, the passport people took an hour to get to me and they asked me a series of very detailed questions: Why are you here in Israel? Who are you visiting? What is their name? Where will you be staying? Is this your first time in Israel? Then they stamp your passport.

No comments: