Thursday, June 6, 2013

First Days of Tel Aviv

I was very happy to arrive in Tel Aviv.  I was picked up at the airport by Ofer.  Someone I had not seen for years.  To see him was comforting and relieving after wishing to meet with him for so long.  We had been waiting for 3 months to see each other after so many years. Although I had visited Israel in the past, I had never spent time in Tel Aviv and I have to say that it is a wonderful city. 
The Israeli work week is different from the US - They work Sunday through Thursday with Friday and Saturday as the weekend.  Saturday is considered to be the holy day and most shops are closed.  If you go out on a Friday, the streets and shops are crowded by people running errands and buying food because it is their only day off when shops are open.  This is a shopping center where they were selling beautiful food.

Look at the Hummus.. It's like cream.




The Yarkon River leading to the Mediterranean Sea.  A long stretch of beautiful park runs along the river. 


Men playing Matkot - a purely Israeli sport.. It looks like playing pingpong, but the ball never hits the ground.  I like this game because it's not competitive - the point of the game is to just keep playing.. to hit the ball so that the other person can hit it back to you.  


My mode of transportation in the city - Green Bike stations.. You rent a bike for 30 minutes at a time and return it to stations layed out all around the city.


No comments: