Thursday, August 23, 2007

A little solemn.

August 20th, 2007

I’ve been playing Tetris a lot in the higher levels, I noticed a trend – when you do the right things with the pieces given to you, the game is very smooth and it is easy to continue completing rows. When you do one thing wrong with a piece by not thinking about its proper place or being careless, it takes about 10 pieces after that to correct the one mistake. Sometimes after 10 pieces of recovery, the game can even be lost. Today my trip feels a little like I have been careless with the placement of the pieces – I should have gone with Karin to the mountain yesterday and gone to museums the day before that. I have had two days now with nothing much to do but wander around. Hoping to find good food, instead I found something over-priced, but tasty none the less. I found the perfect tea room & patisserie…I love when I do that. I think now I am completely out of Francs. Perhaps it is the gloomy weather – but I am having a very difficult time being happy today. I was invited by a stranger in the restaurant to come to a dance club tonight – Maybe I will go – it is my last night in Zurich. Jan’s house is located right in the middle fo the Orthodox Jewish quarter, and there are many Hassids walking around. I have been told that they have so much influence in this area that on Shabbat, they actually close an entire road to traffic.

I tasted hazelnut oil today – wow that is a treat. It was so special, I can imagine how good it would be on a salad or drizzled on bread. I’m not quite sure what to do now – we’ll see where my adventures take me next. If I could do anything right now, what would I do? Curl up with a good book in Barnes & Noble with my brother, or take a drive from Utah to Northern Arizona through the indian reservation.

The streets are moist and darkened from the rain and I catch my reflection in the jewelry shop windows, noticing how long my hair has become. How much time have I spent away from my home and my family. How will I be different upon my return. I will have lived for 23 years when I come back in October. I have come to see how short life really is. There are so many lifetimes to be lived on this earth and for some, spending it in one place is good enough.

The land is always here and the people will always be the same and the slightest change in environment or emotion can make us feel like the world has shifted.

1 comment:

Carlos G said...

Everybody is just a stranger/ that's the danger in going my own way/ this is the price I have to pay.

After a 2 day felucca ride down the Nile, my dutch friends and I went to a some-star hotel and paid 25 Egyptian pounds (>$5) each to swim in the pool in the afternoon and shower and freshen up in a double room. But while soaking in the pool, I couldn't have been happier. Even if I were alone, I wouldn't have traded the moment for the overwhelming feeling of happiness. I wish you the same.